Monday 2 January 2012

Cyanotypes - my first attempts


Here's an example of one of my first cyanotypes.  Looking at it now, it's not great BUT it's an early attempt and there's a lot to learn from it.  When I first started using this paper, by Khadi, I really loved it.  Now I think it's a bit too textured so i'll never get my images as sharp as i'd liked them.  As part of my graded unit, I want to research paper so I contacted the makers of this paper to enquire about buying a sample pack of their various papers.  They didn't get back to me, therefore Khadi paper has now been crossed off my trials list.  I used the heaviest paper they do here and would have considered buying a pack of the lighter stuff but as they didn't give me any response at all, i'll look elsewhere.

This image is an HDR image, made into a digital negative and printed onto printable transparency.  There are so many reasons why purists would think this is wrong but i'm not a purist and am going to experiment with old and new to my hearts content.  There's a balance to be found and I just need to work out where my balance lies.

So, apart from the paper being too textured.  I probably need to work on my exposure time.  This is 50 minutes in a UV box at college.  It's single coated using the classic cyanotype recipe.  I need to run trials on single and double coating and more trials on exposure times.  I originally did this image starting at 1 hour 15 mins and gradually reduced the exposure time.  I think it could do with a reduction in exposure.  Whether or not I continue to try and get anything else out of this image needs to be decided.  It doesn't really serve a purpose for me at the moment with the exception of saying - this is where I am right now and this is what I still have to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment